“Either you’re a person wondering if you have a soul, or you’re a soul who knows that being a person isn’t real.” – From Why Is God Laughing?
For comedian Mickey Fellows, life is about to get very interesting.
On the heels of his father’s death, Mickey meets a mysterious stranger named Francisco on the beach. Tucking riddles in his clothing, posing profound questions and inviting Mickey to engage in some potentially embarrassing—even dangerous—situations will forever alter the jaded comedian.
Who is Francisco? Out of all the people in L.A., why did he pick Mickey for an enigmatic “process”? Will Mickey have to trade his sense of humor—his very livelihood—in order to become fearless? Or is it like Mickey’s dead father says: God is laughing…always?
So what is it that God’s laughing about? What does Mickey’s dead father know now that he’s on the other side—and wants desperately to communicate to his son? And what does spirituality have to do with off-color jokes and humor in general?
In the novel Why Is God Laughing?, prolific author, spiritual teacher and medical doctor Deepak Chopra offers readers an entertaining parable about one man confronting his deepest fears during his unusual interactions with a man named Francisco. As he begins to ask questions about life and his reason for being, Mickey echoes the musings of millions in these hectic times. Originally, I had bought Why Is God Laughing? as a Father’s Day present for my husband, especially since he enjoys Chopra’s storytelling in both his fiction and non-fiction books. Turns out, though, that *I* ended up devouring it before my husband could even begin reading!
And a thoroughly enjoyable read it was—especially as it’s filled with hilarious jokes!
Here are a few of the interesting passages I highlighted throughout the book as I was reading:
• “Death is life on another frequency. The music doesn’t end just because someone can’t hear it.”
• “Fear cannot be trusted.”
• “You will correct the mistake that lies at the very root of victimization: a belief that the movie controls you, instead of the other way around.”
• “Once you have authorship of your self, you come out of silence into activity to write your own story.”
• “Whatever captivates you is also trying to wake you up.”
• “So how does God want us to grow, in what direction, according to what guidelines? None. You get to grow the way you want to, by following your own desires…The things that deeply interest you play the role of God.”
• “…take your place inside the drama with confidence. Everything is as it should be. The role assigned to you is right and proper. It is tailor-made for you, for your complete self.”
In the tradition of Father Joseph Girzone’s Joshua series, Why Is God Laughing? presents gentle challenges from a humble stranger. Timeless and universal truths are shared in a non-threatening way throughout the story, and Chopra shares invaluable spiritual insight at the end with ten transformational principles that—if understood and applied—can be a powerful catalyst for real change.
Do you wonder what happens when people die? Do you fear death? Does fear paralyze you from doing what you love—or from taking risks to find out? Do you wonder if life on Earth is “all there is”? Have you bought into the idea that there is sacred and profane, that there is a literal hell and a literal heaven? Does God even care what you do here on Earth?
And why, oh why, is God laughing?
Join comedian Mickey Fellows on an journey that illuminates some possible answers to those questions—and to discover how to fearlessly be the best “you” possible!—through the engaging book Why Is God Laughing?
Content copyright © by Janet Boyer. All rights reserved. This review was written by Janet Boyer. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission.